Rural Carrier Gary Sherman saw smoke coming from a home in Warsaw, NY, while he was delivering mail recently.
The Postal Service employee, who is also a volunteer firefighter, called 911 and headed to the residence to warn anyone inside.
No one was home, but Sherman could hear the customer’s dogs. He found an unlocked door and got the hounds out.
Firefighters were able to control the blaze and save the home. The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.
The customer later called the Post Office to say how grateful he was to Sherman for saving his companions.
“Thanks to Gary, all the dogs were saved. And because of his quick reaction, the fire department was there in time, so the house was not a compete loss,” said Postmaster Jan Benke.