USPS logo LINK — USPS employee news Printable

Riley Grady and Scott Smith, Kinston, NC

Hero Riley Grady
Kinston, NC, Custodian Riley Grady displays the light bulb that overheated. Custodian Scott Smith also received a Postmaster General Hero Award.

Two custodians at the Kinston, NC, Post Office recently saved the day when a light bulb apparently overheated and started a fire.

Scott Smith discovered that the bulb had burst and ignited the fixture’s plastic covering, dripping flaming material onto the facility’s box section.

He sprang into action, notifying Riley Grady, who activated the fire alarm and began to evacuate the building while Smith grabbed an extinguisher to put out the flames.

Firefighters determined it was safe to resume normal operations after about 45 minutes.

“Due to Scott and Riley’s quick actions, property damage was minimal and no one was injured,” Kinston Postmaster Al Brantley said.

Post-story highlights